My research interests center on social justice, particularly in the area of health care disparities. My work is informed by the social psychology of attitudes and prejudice, the psychology of women and gender, and legal principles pertaining to these areas. I have recently become interested in the role that ambivalent sexism and aversive racism play in the allocation of health care to women and minorities.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Gender Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Intergroup Relations
- Law and Public Policy
- Nonverbal Behavior
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Sexuality, Sexual Orientation
- Social Cognition
- Gillette, C., Howerton, D.M., Williams, B.D. &, Mahmood, M.A. (2015). Medication persistence in older women with osteoporosis: A pilot study. Osteoporosis International, 26(12), 2883-2888.
- Harrison, L. A., & Howerton, D. M., Secarea, A. M., & Nguyen, C. Q. (2008). Effects of ingroup bias and gender role violations on acquaintance rape attributions. Sex Roles, 59, 713-725.
- Hendricks, J. S., & Howerton, D. M. (2011). Teaching values, teaching stereotypes: Sex education and indoctrination in public schools. Journal of Constitutional Law, 13(3), 587-641.
- Howerton, D. M., Meltzer, A. L., & Olson, M. A. (2012). Honeymoon vacation: Sexual-orientation prejudice and inconsistent behavioral responses. Journal of Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 34(2), 146-151.
- Travis, C. B., Howerton, D. M., & Szymanski, D. M. (2012). Risk, uncertainty, and gender stereotypes in health care decisions. Women and Therapy, 35, 207-220.
- Howerton, D.M. (in press). Stereotypes, bias, and decision making in health care. In C.B. Travis & J.W. White (Eds.), APA Handbook on the Psychology of Women and Gender. APA Books.
- Howerton, D.M. & Travis, C.B. (in press). Women’s Health. The SAGE Encyclopedia of Psychology and Gender.
- Travis, C. B., Meltzer, A. L., & Howerton, D. M. (2010). Gender and health care utilization. In J. C. Chrisler & D. R. McCreary (Eds.), Handbook of Gender Research in Psychology (pp. 517-540). New York: Springer.
- Advanced Social Psychology
- Experimental Psychology
- Introduction to Teaching in Psychology
- Introductory Psychology
- Psychology of Women
- Social Psychology
- Women and Health: Social Psychological Perspectives
Dawn M. Goel
Department of Psychology
1 John Marshall Drive
Huntington, West Virginia 25755
- Phone: (304) 696-2914